Currently, this certification is offered only for those who are working and living in the United States and Canada and who are working for a licensed and BCIA certified professional. Applicants for Technician Certification should be aware that:
- This program is intended for individuals who are already employed as biofeedback technicians by a licensed and BCIA certified provider; however anyone is permitted to begin training.
- Applicants must pass the same rigorous certification exam that we administer to candidates who possess at least a BA/BS degree.
- Technicians must be supervised by those who are legally able to supervise non-licensed personnel and must work within their supervisor’s specific scope of practice.
- Should the employment change, the certification is no longer valid until the technician can once again demonstrate current employment in accordance to the standards as outlined above.
- Technicians names are not listed on our provider directory.
The following are the basic requirements for Technician Certification:
- Didactic education course covering the 48-hour BCIA Blueprint of Knowledge statements from a regionally-accredited academic institution or a BCIA-accredited training program.
- Proof of human anatomy- Applicants for Technician-Level Certification may satisfy the Anatomy and Physiology requirement by:
- completing a college-level course in human anatomy, human biology, or human physiology.
- completing a BCIA approved home study course covering this topic such as found on www.behavmedfoundation.org or Biosource Software.
- by reading an undergraduate human anatomy and physiology text or Barron’s Anatomy and Physiology The Easy Way (2nd ed.) and then successfully completing the online Technician Anatomy and Physiology exam.
- Mentoring to learn the application of clinical skills. Mentoring Contact Hours refers to 10 hours of time spent to review 20 patient sessions and to learn basic equipment, electrode placements, and personal self-regulation skills.
- Written Certification Exam - When you have been notified that your application has been accepted, you may make plans to take your written exam either at a scheduled exam site or by using the special exam option.
Requirements may be met in any order and do not have to be completed prior to the exam.
Where Do I Start?
Once you have investigated the program and are sure you are able to meet all of the requirements, the first step is to file an application with a filing fee of $150 which will be valid for two years. When you are ready to take the certification exam, you must pay the $75 certification fee which entitles you to one scheduled seating of the exam.
All fees are non-refundable and must be in US funds and paid by check, money order, or credit card. If using a credit card, you may use these options:
- Technician Application Filing Fee
- Technician Certification Fee
- Special Exam Fee
The application includes a line for your signature attesting that you have read and agreed to abide by the BCIA Professional Standards and Ethical Principles of Biofeedback. Please be sure to carefully read this document.
Certification is valid for four years and recertification is based on the successful completion of the written exam or the documentation of 30 hours of accredited, biofeedback-relevant continuing education.
Filing an Application
Written Certification Exam